Frequently Asked Questions

Whether you're new to sub-contracting or an experienced contractor, you many have a few questions about sub-contracting with ADVANCE. 

You can call our team of experts on 01244 564 564 during office hours, and a team member will answer your call within 3 rings. 

You may also find it useful to browse some of the Frequently Asked Questions below.

If you are subcontracting from ADVANCE (CIS), we also check that you have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
At set up, we will happily talk you through some examples of acceptable right to work documentation and the ways in which you can provide this to us.

A document that is used to prove your identity can not necessarily be used to prove your right to work in the UK.

For example, a UK driving licence can be used as a form of identification, but it can not be used as proof of your right to work in the UK.

For a full list of acceptable right to work documentation, please visit: 

We make payments throughout the week, Monday through to Friday, up until 5.30pm. Your payment will be processed in accordance with your agreed payment cycle, which we will discuss with you at set up. When your payment is processed, your remittance will be sent to you via email from [email protected].

We will also send you a text message on the day that your payment is processed, confirming the amount that you can expect to clear in your bank account.

We usually advise for you to allow 2 hours for cleared funds to reach your account, although in most cases, you will receive your money almost instantly.

You can either apply for a personal UTR number directly through the government website: or we can do this for you. If you would like us to apply for the number on your behalf, just let us know!

No. As a sole-trader, under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), you are sub-contracting from ADVANCE as an individual, not a company. You must obtain and be paid under a personal UTR number, and not a company UTR number.

Of course! Simply call or email our team stating which tax year you need the statement for, and we will send this out via email to you without delay.

This can be for a number of reasons. If you call our team, we can help you work through why this may be. We will need to check that your address registered with ADVANCE is the same as HMRC. The UTR number must also be a personal UTR number. It must be active and registered as CIS in order for a 20% deduction to be applied. If you want to contact HMRC to discuss this their CIS contact helpline is 0300 200 3210.

Call today on 01244 564 564