Umbrella - FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Whether you're new to Umbrella or an experienced contractor, you may have a few questions about your Umbrella employment with ADVANCE. Feel free to call our team of experts, and we will help you with any query you have.

Alternatively, take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions below. 

As your employer, we are required by law to ensure that you have the right to work in the UK, regardless of your nationality.

At set up, we will happily talk you through some examples of acceptable right to work documentation and the ways in which you can provide this to us.

A document that is used to prove your identity can not necessarily be used to

prove your right to work in the UK.

For example, a UK driving licence can be used as a form of identification, but it can not be used as proof of your right to work in the UK.

For a full list of acceptable right to work documentation, please visit: 

We make payments throughout the week, Monday through to Friday, up until 5.30pm. Your payment will be processed in accordance with your agreed payment cycle, which we will discuss with you at set up. When your payment is processed, your payslip will be sent to you via email from [email protected].

We will also send you a text message on the day that your payment is processed, confirming the amount that you can expect to clear in your bank account.

We usually advise for you to allow 2 hours for cleared funds to reach your account, although in most cases, you will receive your money almost instantly.

When your payment is processed, we will send you an email with an attachment which contains your payslip and a reconciliation statement.

On the first page of this attachment, you will find your payslip, and on the second page, you will find the reconciliation statement.

The reconciliation statement sets out the company’s income that we have received from the agency, along with a breakdown of company costs.

If your tax code has changed, this will be because we have received tax code update for you from HMRC. If you have a query in relation to your tax code or if you believe your tax code may be incorrect, you should call HMRC directly on 0300 200 3300 to discuss this with an advisor who can help.

On the reconciliation statement, under company costs, we set out the amount of Employer’s National Insurance that has been contributed from the company income in the specified pay period.

Employer’s National Insurance is a type of Class 1 National Insurance that employers must pay to HMRC in respect of their employees’ earnings.

On your payslip, under your deductions, you will find the amount of Employee’s National Insurance that you have contributed in that pay period.

Call today on 01244 564 564