skip to Main Content

Self-employed? We can help with your tax return

If you’re self-employed and looking for a specialist accountant to complete your self-assessment tax return, you’ve come to the right place.

At ADVANCE we offer a professional tax return completion service.

One of our qualified, experienced accountants will file your tax return with HMRC and let you know how much tax you owe.

If you operate under the rules of the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), you may be due a tax rebate.

We can calculate this for you and help you to obtain your rebate.

Book your tax return


Phone number

Email address (optional)

Best time to call (optional)

Please tick to confirm that you are happy for us to contact you in line with our privacy policy

Please insert this code captcha into the below box

Do I need to do a tax return and what is the deadline?

If you are currently self-employed or have been in the past, it can be hard to know if you need to file a self-assessment tax return.

HMRC’s tax deadlines can be confusing, too.

Our specialist accountancy team will look at your circumstances and let you know where you stand, but here are three quick points to get you started:

1) Self-employment = tax return

If you earn any income whatsoever through self-employment during a tax year, which runs from 6th April to 5th April the following year, then you’ll need to file a self-assessment tax return. It doesn’t matter if you are no longer self-employed – HMRC wants you to pay any tax that you owe for the relevant tax year. If you are still unsure if you need to do a tax return, read HMRC’s guide here.

2) Remember, remember the 31st of January

Midnight on 31st January is the annual online self-assessment deadline for the tax year that ended the previous April. For example, 31st January 2017 was the deadline for the tax year that ran from 6th April 2015 to 5th April 2016. Similarly, 31st January 2018 was the 2016/17 deadline and so on. For more information, read our self-assessment deadline survival guide.

3) It pays to be punctual

Failure to file your tax return and pay any tax that you owe by the deadline will result in an automatic £100 fine. It is therefore in your financial interests to get everything sorted in time for the deadline.

Back To Top